Visa Information

If you require a visa to enter the UK, you can apply either for a Student Visa (valid for the full duration of the programme) as a Standard Visitor Visa (valid for up to six months). Some nationals, such as those of EU countries, do not require a visa to enter the UK for up to six months for study purposes, and can simply apply to enter the UK as a Standard Visitor upon arrival at their port of entry, or enter the UK via eGates. You can find more information on UK visas at the University of Glasgow International Student Support web page.

Please see the International Student Support pages for detailed guidance on the application process.  

If you are applying for a Student Route visa then you will require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) before you can make a visa application.

Student Responsibilities Under Student Route Visas

If the University of Glasgow has issued you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) to obtain your student visa for the UK, the University must comply with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) regulations regarding attendance monitoring and absence reporting as well as checking that you have the necessary documentation and permission allowing you to undertake study in the UK. You will therefore have to register at the appointed time; provide appropriate documents, e.g. passport, UK biometric ID card; ensure that you attend your course and if you can’t, make sure that your School knows why you are not attending; etc. For full details of these responsibilities please refer to the important information on the Immigration Compliance pages. 

Please also see theUKCISA Protecting your Student status information

Note that for a number of reasons we recommend that you apply for the Student route visa, including:

  • The Student Route visa will be valid for the UK for the entire two-year duration of the programme. This also means that should any new travel restrictions arise to Ireland or Italy after the first semester, you will be able to remain in the UK until these are lifted. 
  • If you have to make any subsequent visa applications from within the UK, some Embassies will only accept applications from students who have a Student Route visa. For example, if you are studying on Study Track A and require a visa to study in Ireland, you will only be able to apply for this from the UK if you have a Student Route UK visa. 

If you need any advice on any of these matters please check our International Student Support information or contact the International Student Support Team.

Student visas/residence permits for future mobilities

Irish visas

Students who are non-visa nationals for Ireland are not required to apply for a visa to study there. However, you will still be required to carry certain documentation when you travel, and you will be required to register with Immigration once you have arrived in Ireland.

Students who are visa nationals for Ireland can apply for their Irish visa via the Irish Embassy in London.

You can check if you require a visa here (please choose that you will be coming for study for more than three months).

Italian visas

Under new EU regulations, it should now be possible to apply for a study visa for any Schengen country up to six months in advance of arrival. This means that students on Study Track B can apply for your Italian study visa from your home country before coming to the UK. Details of the new regulations can be found here. If you are going to Italy in the second semester you should contact the local Italian Embassy in your home country for details of how to apply.

You also have the option of applying for your Italian visa from the Italian Consulate in Edinburgh during the first semester of the programme. 

We will issue Admissions Letters from University of Trento to track B students during the summer. You should consider whether it is better for you to apply for your Italian visa from your home country or from Scotland, taking into account location of Embassies and processing times. 

During the IMSISS programme you will be given detailed guidance and assistance in applying for your student visa/residence permit for future mobilities.

IMPORTANT: It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that visas are obtained in time to start the relevant mobility period of the programme. Please ensure that you research visa application requirements for all of your mobility periods and allow plenty of time to apply for each of your visas throughout the programme. Self-funding students in particular should bear in mind any proof of sufficient finances required for each application.